This weekend I was really lucky to be able to participate in an Angela O’Kelly jewellery workshop organised by the committe of Feltmakers Ireland, it was wonderful!
Angela is great fun and such an inspirational jewellery designer, I’ve stolen an image from her website to give you an idea of the designs she explores but head on over there to check out some of her amazing textile, fibre, semi and precious metal pieces, just beautiful. Obviously it’s not going to be possible to give you a blow by blow account here of all the techniques we covered, there were many! Instead I’m going to share with you the most important lessons I took away from the weekend so here goes ……
- How to make some of your own jewellery findings
- A simple way of making a stiff ‘nest’ from yarn and glue which can then be used as a starting point for further embellishment
- The beauty and versatility of paper yarn
- How to ‘spin’ your own paper yarn
- How to work with gold and silver leaf
….. and the most important thing I learnt and really must try hard to remember, I need to use felt as the starting point of a design sometimes and not as the end point!