I should also have said that I used green silk hankies both within the fleece and at several points near the edge of the rug but that the white silk tops around the outside might not be silk at all but is more likely to be tencel. It felt quite different in the hand but as I don’t know where I got it from so this is just an uneducated guess!
Initially I worked the rug hard (several hours) by hand and sander on the reverse and eventually was brave enough to turn it over and work directly on the top. It took ages for the fibres to start coming together, possibly if I had laid two layers of wool on top of the fleece and then the fabric as the last layer it would actually have been a lot quicker. Whatever, another couple of hours later and things were beginning to hang together nicely. When I was absolutely sure that the fleece was not going to come apart I chanced wrapping the rug inside a piece of cotton and putting it through a wool wash in my washing machine! With the exception of rinsing Osman technique rugs or making beads from waste felt I never use my machine for felting, I prefer to do everything by hand. This time however since I was in an experimental mood and the Jacobs is extremely slow to felt I decided nothing ventured, nothing gained. After it came successfully out of the machine I worked it by hand again without any soap. Another while later I put it through a 40 degree wash and again worked directly on the surface by hand for approx another 45 minutes.
The finished rug is extremely tactile and will make a great fireside rug or else something to keep my toes warm during those cold Irish mornings! More detailed images of the final result are available in my Flickr photos.