After a very slow start to the day at last my felt jacket is underway. Now I say jacket but at the moment I still haven’t quite decided exactly on what the finished piece will be, jacket, tunic, sleeveless jerkin, vest, the possibilities are going round and round in my head. I was so annoyed with myself that I couldn’t make a decision that I just decided to get going and play things by ear. Katarzyna, one of my blog readers has sent me an email as she is also starting on a jacket too and it will be really interesting to see how they both turn out! Eventually after all my ruminating I decided to use one of Mehmet’s rug bases, tack it into the shape I want (rectangular at present with two holes for the arms) and insert a resist in the middle. It looks really like a big square at the moment and I am hoping to shrink it more widthways as I work otherwise I may need to add a further piece of felt to the bottom to ensure that it is long enough for me. I haven’t cut out any hole for my head at the moment but I did sew up the side seams lightly leaving enough space for my arms and this will give me the possibility of adding sleeves if I really get inspired and think that they would suit the top. At the moment I am just laying out the wool for the front of the top and tomorrow I hope to finish this, lay out the back and then start felting. I hope that as I progress I will get a feel for the project and at that stage I will be able to decide exactly how much to felt and full and what the actual piece will end up as!